Monday, June 20, 2011

Back in the Saddle, Rolling through the hood, and the Heidelberg Catechism

I've been back on the bike this week. Not as much as I wanted, but am trying with a little success to get up early in the morning to ride. Probably won't happen tomorrow. John Croom and I took a ride through the 'hood today. Last weekend I met Ryan Thomas, a Rock Hill police officer, at Paul's wedding, and he told me some places not to ride. I responded by asking if I had to ride there, when the best time would be. Yeah, I'm determined. He said Sunday morning or afternoon. I intended to get down there in the morning solo, but it didn't happen, so John and I rolled through late this afternoon. We didn't get much excitement other than a few odd looks. The whole time I had the lines
"man I do this for the blocks in tha Hood
the rock's in tha hood
Jesus Chist, Cornestone
gettin' props in tha hood
folks think we crazed and delirious
cilqued up 40 deep
all saved, all serious"
from Lecrae's "Souled Out" going through my head. Folks probably thought we were a little crazed and delirious, even if we were only cliqued up 2 deep.
Here's more:


In hindsight I wish I'd taken some more time to rest and reflect today. It was a pretty intense weekend with a very serious accident on yesterday's morning ride. We're all praying and hoping Noreen will have a full and speedy recovery: http://rockhillbicycleclub.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3265&page=1#Item_23 Things like this make me stop and think more about what I'm doing and the risks involved, but only some. I'm aware every time I hit the road that something dreadful could happen to me. It really helps the prayer life, honestly. The first question and answer of the Heidelberg Catechism have been increasingly the cry of my heart as I head out into hostile streets each day.
1. Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?
A. That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who with his precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, wherefore by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.
Without the will of my heavenly father not a hair can fall from my head. Those cars can't touch me unless God lets them, and that to serve my salvation and everlasting joy. I believe this because God has said it, and because it really does correspond to my experience. I've seen His deliverances on the road and in the circumstances of my life. I can't explain how I've been spared and guided any better way.

I've found some new routes and thus ridden some new roads in getting to and from the new house. After we came back to more familiar roads, we met up with Jenny and Alik and headed out by the mall. Here's the latest ride in a view of Rock Hill:

And how the whole county is looking:

I've got to get on the ball. I need to get my 24 Hours of Booty fundraising site up too. Late to sleep now though. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment